Highlighted

'This effect requires GPU acceleration'

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have Premiere Pro in Creative Cloud on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and it's all legit software for everything. However I have a beast of a problem which is driving me mental which is when I see a prompt saying 'This effect requires GPU acceleration'. I cannot do this at all and spent over a whole day trying to fix this to no avail - is there a solution to this? If so, can it please be explained to me in workmanlike terms, because I feel like Premiere Pro is not worth using with me being unable to fix this.

A million thanks in advance if any one of you kind people could assist in a solution!

Ed

Ed,

Your GPU is not powerful enough to support GPU accelerated effects. You'll need to use software only mode for the Mercury Playback Engine. You'd need a new iMac with a more powerful GPU to take advantage of GPU acceleration. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

'This effect requires GPU acceleration'

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have Premiere Pro in Creative Cloud on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and it's all legit software for everything. However I have a beast of a problem which is driving me mental which is when I see a prompt saying 'This effect requires GPU acceleration'. I cannot do this at all and spent over a whole day trying to fix this to no avail - is there a solution to this? If so, can it please be explained to me in workmanlike terms, because I feel like Premiere Pro is not worth using with me being unable to fix this.

A million thanks in advance if any one of you kind people could assist in a solution!

Ed

Ed,

Your GPU is not powerful enough to support GPU accelerated effects. You'll need to use software only mode for the Mercury Playback Engine. You'd need a new iMac with a more powerful GPU to take advantage of GPU acceleration. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 29, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What GPU do you have, and what settings do you have in the Project settings for Mercury Acceleration  ... Software Only, CUDA, OpenCl, or Metal?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I have:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac13,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM131.0115.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.9f5

Serial Number (system): DGKJX08JDNMM

Hardware UUID: 7F1FB0F4-F8FB-51AD-A4D6-1F8EA79550B3

In Project Settings I have Renderer as 'Mercury Playback Engine Software Only' and unable to change this cos it is greyed out. Sorry, I am new to PP so hope this is the correct answer.

I really appreciate your help.

Ed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't list a GPU there. Some effects can be ported through the CPU or an onboard graphics chip, and some effects ONLY go through the CPU. But there are things that do require a full GPU card be installed and functional in the computer.

And are not available unless an appropriate GPU is installed.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB graphics

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ... there's the rub.

It has less than a gig of vRAM and is old enough that I'm not sure the "architecture" is still supported, might need to be at least a 700 card with a minimum of a gig of vRAM to be used.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch! So do I need a new iMac or is this something which can be fixed? Parden my ignorance here,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or will I be ok but just avoid anything which has the GPU warning?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what might be added to the iMac, you'd have to check with some Mac experts or a Mac store/online or something.

Other than that, yea ... you'd need to avoid effects that require a GPU. And could still do most things in PrPro, albeit a bit slower than with a GPU for some things. Most people think a GPU is just involved always, but ... it is only used for those things on the GPU Accelerated Effects list. And most of those items can work on a CPU - only machine.

Neil

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok! Thanks so much for this answer - it seems like it is something that can't be fixed - or easily at least. I'll try and avoid anything like these effects then. You've saved me a lot of time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get a mid-level GPU into that Mac, it could help. Considering the hardware inside, it wouldn't be worth a higher-end one even if it could work. A 900-level Nvidia or the equivalent in AMD GPU's might help, but you'd need to check with the Mac folks if it's even possible.

For all one pays for Macs, it's always been a shock to me how few options that system allows the user.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

You cannot update a GPU in an iMac, sorry to say.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 2
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you for this question-  I wasted no lie, 4 hours of my day on this.  Please help!!  Says GPU acceleration needed, I downloaded CODA card like a million times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUDA can only work with an Nvidia GPU installed in the computer ... do you have one?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think so. It says I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB graphics card.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what if my GPU was AMD ??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere works with most any of the newer cards there ... typically in Metal on the newer Macs, OpenCL on older ones, and whatever works on PCs.

So ... which card? What driver for it?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed,

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does this go for NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB as well?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 0
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the earliest generation Nvidia cards that are still supported currently are the 700 series ... pretty sure but not totally positive from memory here. (My "on-board memory" is a ton older than DDR2 ... ha.)

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 1
Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its funny, I use the same plugins in After Effects and then it works. But not in Premiere...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2018 0
Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, there are differences between the apps. Which can be a pain at times.

But that generation of GPU is what, 2-3 generations back. Near dinosaur in computer lifespans. And on the way out.

So pretty soon it won't be of use in any of these apps. Not saying it's good or bad, just the reality of computers.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

I'm still getting this message with an Nvidia Titan RTX GPU.  This is a top-shelf graphics card on an ultra-spec'ed out 18-core Intel i9 PC with 128GB RAM.  So I'm pretty sure we can rule out the notion that my computer isn't powerful enough.  Mercury Playback Engine is enabled, so why am I getting this message?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I'm still getting this message with an Nvidia Titan RTX GPU.  This is a top-shelf graphics card on an ultra-spec'ed out 18-core Intel i9 PC with 128GB RAM.  So I'm pretty sure we can rule out the notion that my computer isn't powerful enough.  Mercury Playback Engine is enabled, so why am I getting this message?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What media are your working with, what effect are you using, are there any plugins in use ... give us the details of when this message pops up.

Other than that, there's no way to assist.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually found my solution that I hadn't found anywhere else through process of elimination because I was getting the problem on some sequences not others - the clip effect with the red band was under an adjustment layer with Misfire Vignette on it. Put the clip above the adjustment layer the problem went away! Guess it's a bug of some sort involving two intensive effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018 1
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the layer/stack order is very important in processing under the hood. As in, you can do X or you can do Y, but to do both, you have to do X first then ​nest​ the clip then you can do Y. That sort of thing.

Multiple hefty effects on a clip of course can always become a problem child when you least can afford it. So ... learning the ins & outs of the app is useful to keep work flowing and the internal user temperature down to only ... ​slightly​ ... elevated ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018 1
Contributor ,
Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced a similar thing in After Effects. I used VR Glitch for instance on a clip in the main timeline. And crashed every time during export. But when I put it in a composition it worked. So there are a few bugs here and there in Premiere/AE which is worth trying to work your way around before investing in more expensive equipment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2018 2
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a GeForce GT 525M and I am getting the error as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2019 0
Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 500 series are no longer supported  ... nor used ... by the 13.x Pr or equivalent Ae.

Some of the 700 series cards can be updated with drivers but nothing earlier.

Look up the system and GPU FAQs available through links in the top of the Overview page of this forum.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you for the info.  I also have a Wacom tablet that seems to be running Intel Iris 6100  it also gives the error.

I'm looking to build a new machine, selling my laptop for a desktop.  Feel free to make any graphics card recommendations!

I was looking at the:  Nvidia RTX 2060 at $350 and it seems like a decent deal. 

I would have to get a new motherboard, processor and ram... looks like its time to upgrade.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2019 0
Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, will be soon for me also.

Go to the Overview page of this forum, the there's a lin to the Hardware forum. Look through there. Sadly Bill Gehrke's stopped posting around his mountain of real time test results of different gear running the same project.

But especially look for comments by Safeharbor11 (works for Safeharbor Computing) and ... dang, forget the forum name! ... there's another guy who works for Puget Systems. Those two firms are some of the best at building video/audio post processing workstations even to installing any f the apps from the Adobe side, Davinci Resolve, Avid, you name it.

Check those two company's websites they're loaded with information.

Many CPUs do NOT work well for video post and the base specs of cores/speed/cost don't help much. Some very spendy "massive" CPUs are only middling with video post,soe medium priced ones do very well.

Same with mobos  ... many do not have good internal routing of lanes for the number and resource-demanding load of the cards we need installed for GPUs, external monitor boxes, extra drives, that sort of stuff.

And ... up to 10 cores is better, more cores not as much, and cores as close to or above 4Ghz as possible. Assisted by as close to 10GB RAM per core as possible.

That's a general suggestion.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my iMac Pro specs, still getting this error. Project is set to OpenCL and I attempted Metal as well, no luck.

Model Name: iMac Pro

Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1

Processor Name: Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 11 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro Vega 64

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 16 GB

So basically, not buying the "your GPU isn't powerful enough for GPU accelerated effects." I would appreciate a different answer than that one.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise not buying the Adobe answer. I have a MacPro that was happily rendering all my effects on this project, and has suddenly started giving this error instead. I didn't change the GPU or the effects, so what gives?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2019 0